Miss Gwendolyn Brooks
was an iconic poet, feminist, mother, activist, and Chicagoan. Chicago is celebrating her 100th birthday and [Y]volve Publishing, the teen press of Revolving Door Arts, wants to include your teen voice for We Real Cool: Chicago Teens Celebrating Our Miss Brooks.
We want your poems and stories that explore:
HOW TO SUBMIT
- Feminism: The equal rights movements of history and how the fight still rages on. We want to see your conviction in your writing, to understand your story.
- Poetry: The strength and power that comes from being able to speak through as few words as possible. We want to see your life as a poet, your feelings about poetry, and how poetry shapes who you are.
- Mothers: We welcome all stories that explore relationships with mothers, or being a young mother.
- Chicagoan: The culture of Chicago and how it shapes the individuals stories of everyday people. How being a Chicagoan shapes you. We want to see your "city experience."
Deadline: October 31, 2017
- Must be between the ages of 14-19, and Chicagoland-based.
- All writing must be inspired by the words, life, or spirit of Miss Gwendolyn Brooks.
- Poetry: Submit up to 5 poems in a single document. Each poem should be on its own page.
- Short Story and Creative Nonfiction: Submit up to 2 pieces no longer than 10 pages total. Please use single-spacing.
- One submission per genre. If you'd like to submit to more than one genre, please create a separate submission for each manuscript.
- Upload 1 document per genre (pdf, doc, docx).
- Accepted fonts: Times New Roman or Serifs.
WHERE CAN I FIND INSPIRATION FOR MY MISS BROOKS POEMS?
Let's start with one of her most famous poems: "We Real Cool"
We Real Cool
We real cool. We
Left school. We
Lurk late. We
Strike straight. We
Sing sin. We
Thin gin. We
Jazz June. We
This will not be just any, ordinary poetry anthology.
Oh, no! Your poem(s) could be published alongside the work of Chicago's up-and-coming young fashion designers and photographers.
This anthology will be created in partnership with PROjectUS, a fashion, music, and media entrepreneurship program that will produce fashion and photography also inspired by Miss Brooks. All work from this project will be featured at the 4th Annual Style Bias Fashion Show in October 2017
. (Check out pro-jectus.org
to learn more!)
Questions? Feel free to send us any question you may have at firstname.lastname@example.org